Wednesday, May 27, 2009

RAM


My Powerbook started acting funny last Thursday night at Yacht Rock.  I figured it was just the heat on stage was making it hang up in weird ways.  Friday night, I played a gig in a cold room, with my Mac right near an air conditioning vent.  Same problem!  That got me thinking that maybe I'd added stuff along the way, and I needed to bump up my RAM.  
I checked my RAM in the "About this Mac" menu, and it said I only had 512, but I remember buying an extra GB when I purchased the computer.  So...I figured out by swapping the 512 and the GB sticks in and out that my GB had gone bad.  Bummer.  Luckily, I had purchased it from Small Dog Electronics, and the RAM had a 10 year warranty.  I'm swapping that one out!
I was hoping to buy some RAM locally so I could be sure everything worked before Thursday, so I called Onyx Consulting yesterday morning and asked about purchasing the RAM.  Yes, they had it.  Great, I'm on the way.  I drove all the way to Spaghetti Junction, walked in, and the guy refused to sell it to me because he wanted to install it in my computer.  I was not pleased--wouldn't that be pertinent information to convey over the phone before I drove across town?
On the way home, I called Small Dog again and had them overnight me a GB of RAM.  It was here before 9 AM.  The other GB (that I am swapping for my bad RAM) should be here by Friday.  Then my Powerbook will be all full.  Sweet.
So...I'm still pretty pissed about it.  I ask that you avoid Onyx Consulting for Mac stuff.  Deal with Small Dog Electronics instead.  They are awesome!

In an unrelated note:  the blog that mentions the sunglasses got me free shipping on said sunglasses.  That is why.