Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Pacific Northwest

Keeping things rolling, Yacht Rock flew up to the Pacific Northwest for a few gigs.

We flew in Wednesday evening, so I did a little exploring before we went to the venue Thursday afternoon.


Portland straddles a river, so there are many bridges to check out.



We stayed in a different location from our only previous visit, and I lucked out that we were right around the corner from an Indian restaurant.


Our first show of this leg was at Revolution Live, an old school that has been repurposed as a music venue (there might also be some other artsy stuff tucked into the other classrooms as well). Very cool place.



This one sold out! I wish this place was bigger; it's really cool and sounds really good, but we may have already outgrown it. Anyway, we had a great show here.

I did have one super scary moment--right as we launched into Africa and I picked up the EWI, I noticed that my laptop had not been charging, and was down to 1%! Holy shit! I reinserted the charger and got things going just in time, and by the time we got to the solo, I was at a whopping 2%...but I knew that the laptop was not going to go black on me in the middle of it. Guess I was lucky to notice it in time--that would've been really awful. Regardless, it gave me a massive adrenaline boost that took about five or six songs to burn off.


Friday, there was most of the day to waste, so more exploring.

Hello fren.


And more time at the Indian restaurant.


We got news on this day that an article about us had been published in the online version of Rolling Stone. You can check it out here. Pretty surreal.



Mississippi Studios is a "sister" room to the place we played the night before. It's quite a bit smaller on stage and off, but still sounds pretty good, and has a cool vibe.


This was supposed to be an "unplugged" acoustic show, but we ended up playing it pretty much like any other gig. Good sounds and a good crowd.


Saturday, we traveled to Seattle, but not until after noon, so I had one more chance to wander around.



The Neptune is an old theatre next to the University of Washington campus. It's a little old and funky, but I like it. Lots of good food options around the corner, too.



The sound is a little boomy, but the vibe was cool. Our crowd was more than double our last time in Seattle, and they were in the mood to party--the bars closed an hour into the show because people were getting too wild!


Sunday was spent sitting on a plane. 5 hours.


I watched a documentary on David Crosby by Cameron Crowe. I can't decide whether he's a giant asshole, perfectly honest, or both. One thing I do know is that the knit cab he's wearing probably smells pretty bad at this point.


Home again for a minute.