Monday, June 24, 2019

Almost

Two almost local gigs for Yacht Rock this weekend.

Friday: We played an amphitheater show in Lagrange, Georgia, which was down I-85 to just north of Columbus--so it took me about an hour and forty minutes. The parking/load in spot was on a one way road (with a nearby road closure to complicate things), and I managed to spend twenty-five minutes doing laps around the place trying to find my way to the one way road (I finally just drove the wrong way down the road, and I suspect that I wasn't the only one). When I finally made it, maaaaaan I was pissed.

Also, it was pretty damn hot, and being in the shade was great, but still really hot.

Nice venue, though the local crew was kind of redneck-y and not very helpful or interested in us.



Pretty good gig overall. It stayed hot, but it wasn't really miserable (I wonder if the 9 PM start time was an attempt to beat the heat?); the crowd was older and white and mostly stayed in their seats, except for a some wild people off to the side. The lighting guy was pretty on it.


We left there just before midnight, which means I got home around 1:40 AM.

Saturday: We played a fundraiser in a barn in Bogart, GA, and we all rode in the van (which is good because we drove ourselves last year and all got lost and I had a meltdown about not being to find it).

The stage was flanked by these two nifty cars which we were instructed not to touch.


That's the hammock of a crew guy on the left side of this picture. It's occupied. That's kind of weird.


This year, I was not nearly as enamored by the fluorescent signs. Pretty neat, but I would've traded two of them in for a big fan or some air conditioning. The gig got a bit stuffy.


Other things...nothing comes to mind--it was a  run-of-the-mill corporate event. The local crew (the count was five ponytails on six dudes!, and at least four had to step out occasionally and vape) was once again pretty weird and not really interested in the evening.

At the end of the night, some dude right in front of Monkeyboy tore his shirt off in some sort of fratboy/Flashdance kind of moment, and the idea spread through the crowd to several other bros, and at one point a big dude who looked like security came out and started maybe yelling at one of the shirtless bros and then he took his shirt off too and got on the other guy's back. I didn't know what to make of all that. I kind of hope that the ponytail crew guys were confused and their last two brain cells committed suicide.