Friday, December 23, 2011

Frampton Proclaims my Brilliance!


I played my final Thursday Yacht Rock show at the 10 High for the year.  Due to the holidays, it was mostly Schooner guys (just Greg and me from the Revue), with the mighty Eric Frampton on the other keyboard.  That means different keyboard parts for me on a few things (Peg, Reminiscing, Hey 19, Lonely Boy, Somebody's Baby, Silly Love Songs, Takin' it to the Streets, Lido Shuffle, Doctor My Eyes, and Thunder Island).  It's fun, but I kind of flinch because I'm used to playing the other part.  Anyway, Frampton said afterwards that I was brilliant!  Quite an endorsement, though I really did play really well if I do say so myself.  I'd played all of those except for Thunder Island before, and once I got through the opening octave thing where the piano enters, it was easy.  I did have one small disaster--in Lido, I was banging out the piano part, thinking about how great I was doing, and then I drove off the cliff at the synth build up.  First synth thing was fine, but when I added my other hand, boom.  I think I tried to start it outlining an F major triad instead of a G major triad.  I had to stop for a second and reset.  Stoooooopid.


Let's get back to the brilliant part…so yeah, I was brilliant.  Let's remember that.

It was not all smoochy lovefest stuff, though.  Some chick knocked a beer off the speaker in front of me, and it splashed beer all over my saxophones and flutes.  Raise your hand if you're guilty (and get poked in the left boob).


Thanks a lot.  Particularly irritating was that she heard the bottle hit the stage, looked to see where it was, shrugged, and went back to trying to take a picture of her friends.  I should have had Nate throw her out.  Now my horns are sticky and smell like beer, and my flute has sticky keys (flute took the worst of it).  Fortunately there were no dents and everything seems to play.  I worked on cleaning flute pads through the entire break.  I tore a dollar bill in half in the process.  Federal offense?


Side note:  Yuengling is really shitty beer.

At some point in the second set, and second drink (in a cup) came off the speaker.  Not cool at all!


Other than that, it was really good crowd.  I went into the gig thinking that the 10 High would either be pretty packed or totally empty.  It was the former.  Yay for that!  Lots of good looking people (women) across the front row.  Thanks for that.


davidfreemanmusic.net