Monday, August 8, 2011

Sunday into Monday

Here I am, parked at my computer at 1:22 AM Monday morning…my alarm is set to "wake me up" at 2 AM so I can drink some coffee and head to CBS to play with Yacht Rock this morning--promoting our big Revival this weekend.  If you're up, we're playing some time between 5 and 6 AM, and then again between 6 and 7 AM.


Church gig number one today was pretty easy.  I showed up about five minutes earlier than usual and there was no one there!  Kind of freaked me out.  I wondered if maybe I wasn't supposed to be there.



The gig was waaaaaaaaay easier than the previous week.  Almost every chart was a one-pager.  Ahhh.  No big deal.

I played my back up tenor.  It's not the same!  It's funny how the notes seem more locked in on this horn--the way a trumpet player would describe the notes as "slotting well."  On my horn, everything seems like "this note, this note, this note."  I'll probably get used to it and it feel normal in a few days.

Church gig number two was ok.  I didn't have a really good mix going, and I made a recording from the back of the church that verified this.  I need to be more aggressive about chopping the low end out to minimize the effects of the big stone box in which we are playing.  That and a little bump in the high end, and I think things might be a bit clearer.

In between those two, I had to run to the Pleaserock office for an interview.  It seems that some movie person saw a Yacht Rock show and now has an interest in making a movie about us--someone mentioned it as a modern version of Spinal Tap.

relax-it's just a prop
None of us was prepared for what we might be asked, and it was hard to tell whether we were supposed to be more like our YR personas (me=asshole), or us in real life (me=?).  My half hour started with all the B.S. and sarcasm I could muster, but somewhere along the way I ended up talking normally--I guess you could say I let my guard down.  It didn't occur to me until tonight, but it was just like when I was going to see a psychologist regularly.  I ended up telling the truth way more than I wanted to.

davidfreemanmusic.net