Friday, June 3, 2011

Both Sides of Thursday

I had two gigs on Thursday.

My first gig was a flute/guitar duo with Trey Wright.  We played for the opening of a condo building in Marietta (very convenient that both of us live about fifteen minutes away!), providing mood-setting music for people exiting the elevator.  Sounds romantic!  It was fun--I never get jazz flute gigs, it was cool to play with Trey again, and nobody bothered us.  The crowd got a little loud at some points (don't they know they're ruining my recording!), but we enjoyed ourselves.  Easy gig, easy money.

Here's some audio!



I ran home, swapped gear and clothing, and headed out to the 10 High for the regular Yacht Rock gig.  A very different playing environment.

The first set, I was Sloppy Joe Saxman.  I had lots of little blips where I just couldn't quite get my stuff happening.  I did hit on a really nice idea for my sax solo on Reminiscing, but I had a couple of hiccups in the duo thing right before that.  The first few songs were like that…I think I was just trying to get accustomed to the sound of the stage that night.  It took about half the set before I was completely comfortable.

The second set was irritating as hell.  It felt like a couple of the guys phoned it in, and it made the second set take forever.  I was not happy.  Some of it, I'm sure, was because I was tired, but I couldn't put up with most of the bullshit last night.  For instance, the pulling the rug out from under Dannells' solo on Baker Street has been done to death.  It's not funny anymore, it's not surprising, he knows it's coming…stop.  It hasn't been funny for a while.  You're not Mark Cobb--stop telling his jokes.

I'm cool with everybody having a good time--I want to have fun, too--but take care of the music first.  The 10 High gig DOES matter.

davidfreemanmusic.net