Monday, January 17, 2011

Sunday Sunday

Yesterday was Sunday, a day for performances in houses of worship.

The first gig was pretty cohesive.  It's finally coming together--no big disasters or anything.  They're limping towards everybody on in-ears, which would be cool.  Right now it's one monitor mix and a six channel headphone amp!  Not quite cool.  Somehow they've not been able to find a headphone extension long enough to reach the eight feet over to my position, so I get nothing, which really hasn't been that bad.  I'm playing acoustically against the piano and drums.  I'm told that eventually they'll start using an Aviom system, which would be sweet.

Speaking of sound, I don't know what the hell's going on with the sound at church gig number two.  The sound coming out of the board (listening with headphones) does not equal the sound coming out of the main speakers.  They've changed something between the jacks on the floor where I plug in and the PA.  My best guess is that the right channel has been turned off and it's mono, and I'm still trying to run stereo.  After the mass, I took my mic and tried panning it hard left and then hard right, and I couldn't tell the difference.  I'm not saying I'm a good sound man, but stacking everything in the band on a mono send (as opposed to spreading it out in a stereo mix) is not going to give better results.  We'll see.

davidfreemanmusic.net