Friday, July 16, 2010

Alive After Five

The Yacht Rock Revue played Alive After Five in Charlotte last night.  It went pretty well.

We all met at the office around 10:30 AM, loaded up, and headed up I 85.  Along the way we had the usual stops for food and gas, and rolled in around 4 PM, I'd guess.  From there, we loaded in, set up (on a really nice outdoor stage), soundchecked and ate.

The gig was not too good for me.  I'm still trying to get used to the new keyboard;  the EWI had another moment of playing itself;  mostly I was mentally unavailable for the beginning of the gig!  I just couldn't get my mindset into what we were doing.  It was like I was spaced out, and I was trying to force myself to pay attention (with limited success).  While that was happening, I was thinking about things like "the split on this keyboard needs to be tweaked" and trying to play around that (and tripping all over myself).  The EWI started playing itself again--it was still registering breath pressure even though I wasn't playing it, which caused it to do some strange stuff for a second.  I'm not sure what that was--it was not terribly hot or humid--maybe barometric pressure?  Altitude?  I don't know.  It worked, and then somehow I sent MIDI information that muted everything...I don't know.  I turned the sensitivity down and everything was fine for the rest of the gig.
Anyway, if you were there (either on stage or out front), my apologies for not being on it.  I just didn't have it yesterday.  

We drove home after the gig (I slept a good bit of the way).  I got home around 4:30 AM, wide awake from having taken a three hour nap!  I was up for a while longer before I crashed again.

We're at the Park Tavern tonight.