Saturday, February 6, 2010

Andrews Upstairs


Yacht Rock was back in Atlanta for a Friday night gig at Andrews Upstairs.

Andrews is transforming from a live music venue to a DJ, and they have done some remodeling to accommodate more people.  The stage has been radically transformed--the multiple levels and nooks and crannies have been removed.  It made for a tight fit for the seven of us!

We played well considering the stage setup.  I was all the way stage left;  then Bencuya, then Greg, then the Cobb with Nick and Pete directly in front of him, and then Dannells jammed in the opposite corner.  It was a tight fit, but we made it work ok.
Being next to Bencuya made me a bit apprehensive.  If there's one guy who would know when I was not playing something exactly right, it'd be him.
I think the next time we play Andrews (and maybe just in general), I'd like to split my sax line off from the rest of my stuff.  In general, I'm only playing saxophone when I'm soloing, and it'd be cool to be able to put some in front monitors without them having to listen to my keyboard and EWI parts all night long.  It feels like I'm playing into a pillow because there's no sax anywhere on stage (except my amp way over in the corner, and even that's pretty turned down).

I am not gigging tonight--I'm preparing for Beatles rehearsals next week.
www.davidfreemanmusic.net