Saturday, June 27, 2009

Swim with the Fishes


Greetings. It's been a week. You probably thought I was dead.

This week was marked by Jack's transformation into a fish. About a week ago he figured out that he could go under water and not die, and since then he's been in the pool, swimming, more or less constantly. I think he's down there once or twice a day for hours at a time. It's a lot more fun to go now because of that, so I've been trying to be there as much as I can, so I haven't been putting in much time on the horn.
This week's Yacht Rock was a bit of a pressure cooker for me due to the fact that I had to play keyboard on a few tunes to cover Brandon being out. I am not a good pianist, so I really had to put in the time to try and approximate what he would normally play with ease. The biggie that I was concerned about was the rhodes part on "I Keep Forgettin'." I did pretty well. Actually, I wish I was more comfortable, because when I am playing keyboards and getting it right, I enjoy it.
One thing I noticed (again) about my playing is how I get lazy about breathing. At times I find myself not taking in enough air, and then I can't make it through phrases. This happened to me last night in a couple of spots--the first one that comes to mind being the solo on "Heart of Rock and Roll." I was thinking about my stage movements and the solo, and I didn't get a good breath in the solo, so then I was trying to make up for it in every hole until the solo ended. I guess I just need to be more aware of it. It's kind of stupid, actually. If you're talking, you never stop to think about the fact that there's no air in your lungs. I need to slow down a little, I guess, and not be so sloppy.
Yesterday I did some recording at Metronome Studios for a band called Attractive Eighties Women. Tom Gibson and I played on a tune about zombies. I played bari sax and alto sax.
After that it was to the pool!
Tonight I'm playing a private function at the World of Coke--a little three hour hit. I'll be home before midnight!