Sunday, June 14, 2009

Friday-Prince



Friday was a big driving day.
I got up as late as I could and headed out the door to a rehearsal for my Saturday gig. It was down at the International Convention Center (down by the airport). I was down there for a couple of hours in an enormous exhibit hall.
When that was finished, I raced home and finished getting my book of music ready for my sax sub for a gig Saturday night. I had a few charts I needed to write out on the computer. When that was finished, I ran and dropped the book off.
Late Friday night, I got dressed and ran down to Little 5 Points for the Prince Tribute at the Star Bar. I played on Head with Y.O.U., and a New Orleans/Meters version of A Love Bizarre with Edenrage and Chanda Leigh (I'd never met these people before we played! The guy texted me once we both got there and I found him by his decription. They'd asked through a friend if I would join them). Pretty cool stuff. I was glad that A Love Bizarre went with a different feel, so I could avoid playing more or less the same sort of solo I'd played on Head. Mark Bencuya played an awesome synth solo on a tune they played without me. I think it's the best solo I've ever heard him play.
Afterwards, Mark Cobb hipped me to some really cool stuff I'd never heard--a band from the 70s called Cymande and the Headhunters album without Herbie Hancock. Gritty 70s funk. Awesome! We got into a discussion about whether it's better to approach a tribute situation like the Prince tribute by playing exactly like the record, or it's better to do your own thing with the song. I can see it either way, as long as the musical decisions are legit (i.e. don't decide to skip the bridge because you can't remember it).
I got home around 2 AM. Not good--I have to be at my next gig at 7:15 AM!