Monday, January 6, 2020

Last One, First One

End of the year gig, beginning of the year gig--here we go.

Yacht Rock played two gigs around New Year's, both connected to the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville.


New Year's Eve was some sort of VIP thing in a hotel ballroom.  There was a screen showing highlights from previous years on repeat. It went around five times. Interesting that Jimbo Fisher was featured as an FSU assistant coach, FSU head coach, and Texas A&M head coach. And that was the gist of the gig for me.

Mark Bencuya would want me to point out that over the years, our NYE gigs have ended earlier and earlier, and I would agree that this is overall a good thing. This night ended at 11:45 PM, when the guests were all sent outside to watch fireworks over the river.


New Year's Day was a day off. I slept late, ate overpriced french toast (and four bananas), went for a run, and worked on the Sonny Stitt transcription that I posted a couple of days ago.



After my run, I walked to a burrito place for dinner, which included (via Google maps) the directions to basically walk along what looked like an I-95 entrance ramp! I was cold and tired, so I did it.


January 2 was another gig day, this time at a pep rally before the game. Jacksonville has an amphitheater built right next to the stadium, and we set up there for a ninety minute concert for fans. I imagine that it was pretty boomy with all that concrete, but it was new and very comfortable, and...I didn't care.


Before we played, both marching bands came through and worked their constituents into a frenzy. I like the new band uniforms, IU.


And then we played...the weather was great, we played for an hour and a half, and my stuff was packed and stacked by 7:15 PM.


Time for one more run in Jacksonville! This place is DEAD at night. Also, flat. Easy running. Ate two more burritos.