Monday, January 13, 2020

Week One

The first week of the 2020 Yacht Rock tour is in the books!

The weekend began in Lexington, Kentucky at the Manchester Music Hall. We played here once before, a few years ago--I remember it as the first gig with new equipment (after some of our gear was stolen in Louisville).

It's pretty decent for a Thursday night. The room looked to be a comfortably full--a good showing for our second time here in two and a half years.



Friday was night one at the Egyptian Room in Indianapolis. We've played here several times, and I like it, mainly for it's large stage and multiple dressing rooms. Also, we pack this place out, hence the two shows.


Here's my solo on the end of Biggest Part of Me. Thursday's version had gotten a bit harmonically abusive, so I tried to stay more on the bluesy side of things.




Saturday, I slept late, had coffee, ran on the treadmill, ate at the Indian buffet, practiced, and walked to the gig early (and got all my flute warmups done).


Night two in the Egyptian had even more people stuffed in there. After playing well on Friday, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to match the energy on this show, but we gradually relaxed into the evening, and everybody played equally well.

Biggest Part of Me was on the setlist again this evening, and I was pretty sure that I liked what I'd played the night before, and I thought there was a good chance that I would try again, but that I'd overblow and get uptight and all that, and the solo would turn into a bunch of rambling bullshit. HOWEVER! This night's attempt held together well, and I especially like the opening few melodic ideas I had before it got down to playing some fast crap. So...dig it!




Sunday morning, it was time to head back to Atlanta. Our hotel in downtown Indy used to be a bank--you don't see a lot of hotel lobbies like this!