Saturday, January 4, 2020

I Can't Give You Anything But Love

I was at a jam session about a month and a half ago and got called up to back a singer on I Can't Give You Anything But Love, a tune I did not know, so I did my best to "ear" my way through it. Most of it is pretty obvious--it's one, two five, two five to the four chord, major two, that kind of thing. I think the only really weird thing is the second measure, which I think is often played as some kind of diminished three (in this case, Eb diminished for the alto), but Stitt is pretty clearly outlining E minor to A7(b9) in his solos.



The leader of the session reminded me of this classic recording of Sonny Stitt with the Oscar Peterson trio (with Ray Brown on bass and Ed Thigpen on drums), and I thought it a good idea to write out Stitt's solo and see what he's doing. It's a beautiful example of the bebop vocabulary. Enjoy!