Sunday, October 3, 2010

Work, Work, Work

Greetings.  I wonder if I should hire an assistant to take notes and compose my blog for me!  I can't find the time right now.

Thursday was a two-fer gig day.  My first gig was in the lobby of the new Marriott attached to the Georgia International Congress Center down by the airport.  It was a four hour House Live gig with Jeff and Wayne.  Pretty easy stuff...




When that ended, I hauled butt to the 10 High to play the Yacht Rock gig.  Surprisingly, it wasn't too tough, and we collectively had a good night, though Greg was unable to play the gig due to illness.  There were a ton of people there.  It was fun.



Friday, I saw David Sanborn at the Ferst Center at Georgia Tech.  It was so cool.  The last time I saw Sanborn was when I was in high school, probably twenty years ago at this point.  He's still got it!  I do think he needs to move past the Ray Charles tribute stuff--two albums is enough!  How many more shuffle blueses do we need to hear?  The band was Joey DeFrancesco on organ and Byron Landham on drums.  The playing was cool, but I was most turned on to hear older stuff like Straight to the Heart and The Dream in that format.  Great stuff.

























Saturday I did a solo wedding gig at Barnsley Gardens up in Adairsville, Georgia.  The ceremony was in a really pretty pine chapel.  I did some recording while the room was empty.






Here's some flute stuff I recorded in the empty room:



After the ceremony, I jumped on a golf cart and rode out to the Ruins to play the cocktail hour.  Solo saxophone for this one.





I got home, ate supper, and collapsed.  I woke up at 1:30 in the morning and started practicing keyboards for next weekend's gig.  I have a bunch of stuff to learn.  There will be no sleep!  Actually, I went back to bed at 3:45 AM, and then got up just before 7 to get ready for my church gig.  Easy stuff.

I've been playing the rhodes part to Hey Nineteen this afternoon at about half speed.  My hands are starting to hurt!  Good thing I have another church gig to go to to break the afternoon up;  otherwise, hello carpal tunnel!

davidfreemanmusic.net