Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Monday and Tuesday

Sunday night ended with a thud.  After kind of nodding off on the way to my evening church gig, I somehow managed to maintain consciousness long enough to get back to the couch, where I crashed.  I slept quite well (and for quite a number of hours).

Monday evening I played a House Live gig with Wayne and Jeremy at Ventanas.  It was pretty easy--we (Wayne and myself) are in groove, so the boredom and bullshitting come much later in the gig.  I have no idea who we played for--I think there were forty people there--and no helicopter rides.  Boo.  We were so quiet, I didn't even use a microphone for the flute (or saxes).


We ate at Baja Fresh (pregame meal?).


My alto and soprano reeds both felt terrific all night.  Sounding good on both horns really inspired me--I felt really free and relaxed, and came up with some pretty good stuff.  Jeremy played some good stuff (either by luck or on purpose), and looped some good spots so I could solo without the lyrics and other things getting in the way.


I got home, ate a bag of popcorn, and passed out on the couch.

Tuesday morning I was up pretty early to play a Yacht Rock gig.  It was a corporate event for IHC, which owns Holiday Inn (among other things).  The gig was pretty easy.  We loaded into a big conference room on the 20th floor (I could look out and see the building next door where my dad finished up his commercial real estate career!).

We played maybe twenty-five songs--maybe.  It was something like two thirty minute sets.  No problems.  Nothing was loud, and nobody got drunk.  We were done before 2 PM.  Nice!  If not for the crazy security guard who evidently didn't want anyone loading anything out through her loading dock, it might have been a perfect gig.


I taught a few lessons this afternoon, took a nap, and practiced piano until my hands hurt.  I'm still pushing hard to learn all this stuff for my Thursday morning rehearsal.  I think I'm going to be ok.  So much for me freaking out Saturday.  I think I've investigated all the parts I need to learn, so tomorrow I can play through all these new tunes and try and build up some consistency before I have to play them in front of other ears.

davidfreemanmusic.net