Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Dark Side and Sgt. Peppers Lonely Heart

Please Pleaserock Me played Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Beatles) in its entirety last night, and opened the show by playing The Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd) synched up to The Wizard of Oz, thus fulfilling the stoner myth of The Dark Side of the Rainbow!























Is it wrong of me to have enjoyed the Pink Floyd so much more than the Beatles?  I know it's sacrilegious to put anything in front of John, Paul, George, and Ringo, but Pink Floyd means so much more to me personally.  I lived on Pink Floyd in high school, so any chance to play their stuff resonates with me much more deeply.  

The Dark Side went over well.  I played well, though at one point I guess I was pushing my horn so much into the microphone that I nearly knocked the stand over.  Oops!  Got a little excited.  I tripped a little bit on the timing of the Money solo--I just can't hear seven beats in a measure, I guess.  Other than that, things were solid.























Sgt. Peppers was almost a letdown--The Dark Side was continuous (we stayed in time with the record and movie all the way to the end of the album), and all the breaks in between songs on the Beatles I think led to feeling like it wasn't as monumental of a moment.  It went well, though.  

So...a big crowd!  Good stuff.  I also drank four or five Newcastles.  God save the Queen!  and Sting...wasn't he from Newcastle?