Thursday, May 8, 2014

Tilt a Whirl


I played a random gig with Full Tilt last night, doing the typical Atlanta corporate cover band thing.  It's really strange whenever I am back in that scene;  some of it is like I never left, and some of it is now completely foreign to me.  The Rupert's derived stuff like the sax solo on Signed, Sealed, Delivered is still there early in the night, as is the Atlanta Beat derived medley of Soul Man into Hold On, I'm Coming.  The newer things, the more current hip hop stuff, I have possibly never heard, and have nothing to play as a saxophonist.  I spent three quarters of the gig playing tambourine and shaker.

This one I have played many times.


Good rule of thumb for all you freelance saxophonists:  Don't bring a cowbell unless you specifically have to play it on a particular song, or some asshole in the audience will yell "More cowbell."  It's a race to see who can get it out there fast enough.  No one will ever yell "More shaker!"


Anyway, it's always good to have a paying gig during the week, and this one was fairly painless!  Also, it was an excellent hang with Michael Magno.  That dude is awesome.