Sunday, December 1, 2019

We Interrupt This Thanksgiving to Bring You...

Wednesday: I came screaming back into town Wednesday afternoon, leaving myself just enough time to drop my suitcase, pick up my stage clothes, and head to Venkman's for our annual Turkey Eve gig.


Pretty damn good show, if I do say so myself. I quite enjoyed it.

My big fun for the four days leading up to this shindig was learning/relearning Don't Go Breakin' My Heart. We kind of used to play this song in the first year or two of Yacht Rock, but I had even less keyboard technique and less ability to zero in on the details of the string part--so basically, I started from scratch. It was fun to conquer it, though. Pete's wife Alyssa sang the Kiki Dee part and Nick sang the Elton John.


Friday, Yacht Rock played a short show at Criminal Records in Little Five Points with the intent of showcasing some more of our original songs. Unfortunately, it was a bust. We had a very small crowd (I'd bet that if you eliminated friends and family, it was around twenty people), and the stage was too small to accommodate all of us and our gear, and the PA didn't work, so Zach had to improvise some main speakers. One of those speakers ended up a foot behind my head, and I could sometimes barely hear what I was playing, and sometimes I heard nothing of myself, and it made me question why I was even on stage. It was awful! I played like shit, too. The whole thing was very discouraging.