Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Napa

Another one gig weekend--this time in Napa, California, playing the fiftieth birthday party for our friend Pat from Train.

Just like our trip to Utah the week before, we were fortunately able to fly the night before, sparing us the longest-day-of-your-life feeling of flying for several hours, riding in a van for an hour and a half, and then setting up and playing a gig. It also afforded us the opportunity to kill half a day before our scheduled soundcheck. Some scenes from my run around town:





our hotel
On a trip with nothing exciting to tell, here's something--for the first time, I used Lyft. I've gotten in Lyfts that others have called, but this was the first time I've ever opened the app on my phone and requested a car. This particular ride took me to an Indian place for lunch. Doubly fun was the Lyft back to the hotel.

aloo gobi and saffron rice

On to the gig--we played at a nifty little theatre called the JaM Cellars Ballroom. Nice room! The gear was also good, provided by SIR San Fran.



Maybe I expected this gig to be a little more wild, but then again, fifty years old, so maybe not. The crowd definitely liked us, but they were also very polite and quieted down between every song. It was almost corporate in atmosphere.

We learned How 'Bout Us for this one, which was really fun and vibey (especially since we had Keisha and Kourtney with us). Pat came on stage after I Can't Go for That to complement us on how much better we are than Hall and Oates. Everybody got a kick out of that.


Sunday: Another full day of travel. The flight home was quicker, but the guy in the seat next to me smelled much worse. And you annoying old ladies behind me! Shut up! The whole damn back of the plane can hear everything you're talking about.