Monday, June 24, 2013

Thrown Together

It's been a long week.  Here we are again at the Sunday church gigs post.

The AM church gig was really thrown together.  Our normal song leader/vocalist was in the hospital recovering from surgery, so the band leader went out front, which moved Dustin from guitar to piano.  Things were shuffled, to say the least.  More than instrumentation, everybody keys off the piano, and when the leading is coming from the guy twenty feet out front with his back to us, things are less concrete.

We got through everything, though.  Tommy Dodd was there on pedal steel, though I didn't hear him play much.  There wasn't really any room in the music for either one of us by the nature of the songs that were chosen.  I ended up playing lots of whole notes.

Bryan Lopes tweaked some things on my soprano to really get it in top condition.  Specifically, he strengthened the spring on the G key so that every time I touch it it doesn't open the second octave key vent.  Much better!  If you are a regular reader, you might recall that touching the G key when playing a high B or C# caused them to go a quarter step sharp.

My PM church gig was not too bad.  I played lots of soprano (still trying to get used to the new horn), still dialing in the intonation.  It's getting there.  I think it might be about time to record and see what the whole band sounds like.