Friday, April 1, 2011

Double Shot

Yacht Rock did two gigs yesterday.  We had an early gig at the Apparel Mart and  then our usual 10 High thing.

Oddly enough, I have never in my fifteen years of wandering around Atlanta played the Apparel Mart.  Never been in there (though the ring on my finger came from there).  It looks like a giant hotel lobby full of stores--this is accentuated by the fact that it has the same interior architecture as the Marriott downtown (or is it Hyatt?).  Anyway, it looks pretty cool.


We were collectively a bit daunted by the acoustic possibilities.  Would it be an mess of washy echoes?  Surprisingly no.  It felt really dead on stage.  I guess because there was nothing for the sound to directly bounce off, it just kept going.  After a couple of songs, we had ourselves balanced out pretty well.


The gig began with me in a Benadryl haze (the pollen is wearing me out right now).  We played for an hour and a half (and it felt like it) to a curious crowd.  After playing two saxes, two keyboards, EWI, flute, tambourine, and bongos, the only thing anybody wanted to say to me was "Is that your real hair?" to which I replied "Is yours real?"  I think eventually I'll upgrade to "Are you pregnant?"  I mean, yeah, it's a wig.  What difference does it make?

We dragged through the next set (which only took about a half hour).  At some point in there, I bit the dust on My Life--my hands just couldn't find the right notes.  Lots of unappreciated laughter across the band stand.  Should I be grateful that I was at least audible across the stage?  Should I maybe shut up and just play it right?

When gig number one ended, we collectively hauled ass out of the Mart, down the elevators, loaded our cars, and boogied over to the 10 High, where we set up in a flash.  That gig went better, and I was much cleaner on My Life.  I played another really good solo on Lowdown.

For April Fool's, we came back from the break dressed in our street clothes, and opened with Pearl Jam's Even Flow.  I tried to film it, but for some reason, my phone wouldn't comply.  The rest of the set was regular Yacht Rock stuff, with us sounding really fried--I felt pretty good, personally, but we weren't really clicking.  The band closed with The Who's Shaking All Over.

Time to shift gears!  We're playing all Beatles tonight at Eddie's Attic.

davidfreemanmusic.net