Monday, December 14, 2009

Saturday/Sunday

I made it through the big gig week of December with a Platnumb gig Saturday night. It was a debutante/charity ball in Gainesville. I can't say whether it was for the debutantes or charity. What struck me most was how the mothers of the debutantes took such great pains to try and hang with the teens. It was very uncomfortable from my perspective--moms trying to be one of their daughter's friends and rock out to the band and get crazy. Very forced. I was kind of embarrassed for them.
The heir to the saxophone spot in Platnumb has been named. It's a very strange situation--I have been asked to sub the gig to the same guy (as much as possible) so that when I leave the band, it's a smooth transition. I didn't know I was leaving the band.
Sunday night was my usual church gig. Nothing to report from that.
My big mission this week is to get my synth stuff ready for the Starbuck hit Moonlight Feels Right. We're playing it this Friday at the Variety Playhouse show (and at gigs from there on). Bencuya and I spoke about how to best reorganize the necessary keyboard parts so the two of us could cover it. We left it as a future mission, but when the song turned up on the setlist last week, his statement to the band was "We're skipping it because Dave doesn't have his parts together." Ouch! It sounds like I need to get movin'. We talked about it again yesterday, and it doesn't sound like there will be a reorganizing of parts--basically, I need to check and see what Brandon played, and do that!
Yacht Rock Thursday (10 High) and Friday (Variety Playhouse) this week.